The International Association of Registered Financial Consultants (IARFC) has initiated the Ethics Approved Renewal Program designed to promote adherence to the Association’s Code of Ethics. This program scrutinizes the practice history of each member and will award recognition to those who serve the public’s interest when dealing with their financial future.
The IARFC Team will be reviewing all membership renewals submitted to the Association and rewarding members for their long-term commitment to the IARFC Code of Ethics. They will be checking:
- FINRA records,
- State licensing records conducting an
- Internet search of each member’s name.
Members will need to have a clean record for the preceding five (5) years in order to qualify for the Ethics Approved Renewal. Members who qualify will receive an embossed seal stating they are “Ethics Approved” with the year of the review and is effective for two years.
“This is an effort towards increased transparency,” explained Chairman H. Stephen Bailey. “The public is more educated than ever and needs assurance of the background of their financial professional and their adherence to a Code of Ethics.”
Vice Chairman Nicholas Royer, weighed in on the significance of this transparency. “In my opinion, the RFC® designation is Gold Standard in the industry. Our members who hold the RFC® are the top financial consultants available, and they’ve proven it through the strenuous qualifications necessary to get this designation. With all the changes in the financial world in the last few years, this additional attention to ethics will raise the bar once again and help ensure to everyone that the financial professionals who carry the RFC® designation are truly the best of the best.”
Visit the IARFC Store to purchase your Canons of Ethical Behavior Wall Plaque.
I will at all times put my clients interests above my own.
I will maintain proficiency in my work through continuing education.
When fee-based services are involved, I will charge a fair and reasonable fee based on the amount of the time and skill required.
I will abide by both the spirit and the letter of the laws and regulations applicable to financial planning services.
I will give my clients the same service I would give myself in the same circumstances.
Filed under: IARFC Posts
Credit Card Fraud is on the rise. Here are some practical DOs and DON’Ts:
- Keep copies of all correspondence regarding disputed charges until the matter is resolved.
- When you are at a cash register using your card, don’t let the card out of your sight, and get it back as quickly as possible.
- Save all receipts. Compare them with what’s on the monthly statement.
- Sign the back of your cards, and put your picture on them if that service is available.
- Keep a record of your account numbers, their expiration dates, and the phone number and address of each company in a secure place.
- Destroy all carbons immediately.
- Draw a line through any blank spaces above the total. Don’t draw a zero, which could easily be altered.
- Leave credit cards lying around. Either activate them, or cut them up.
- Lend your card to anyone.
- Ever sign a blank receipt. It’s like signing a blank check.
- Give out your account number over the phone unless you’re doing business with a company you’re sure of.
- Write your account number on the outside of an envelope.
Investigate more simple steps we can take that will protect us from financial fraud in the September/October Register. Many of them are so simple that you may do a double take. But it will make you a better steward of your financial affairs. (see Consumer Focus article – Finding the Right Financial Advice – September/October Register).
Peter J. D’Arruda RFC, CTC
Is the IARFC President and a financial and tax coach. He is host of the nationally syndicated weekly radio show, The Financial Safari, as well as the author of four books, including “Fine Print Fiasco”, “Financial Safari, 7 Financial Baby Steps”, and “Have you been talking to Financial Aliens?” Themes of these easy readers include helping others avoid being taken advantage of and translating financial jargon for any layperson.”
Filed under: IARFC Posts
Cruising the Mississippi – the IARFC 2017 CE@SEA Destination
The International Association of Registered Financial Consultants (IARFC) is excited to announce their 2017 Riverboat Cruise on the Lower Mississippi. From Memphis to New Orleans, cruisers will experience the vibrant culture, rich history and diverse environment of America’s largest river – all which are the subject of fascinating Mark Twain stories.
Scheduled for July 1 through July 8, 2017, IARFC members and friends can enjoy this 7-day adventure on the American Cruise Lines’ “America” and attend the CE@SEATM continuing education conference onboard – a floating classroom of convenience.
“We chose this domestic cruise this year as a way for members to reconnect with their own country’s roots at a leisurely pace,” relates IARFC Chairman H. Stephen Bailey. “No international flights, no passports, no language barriers – just Americana to be experienced by the turning of the paddle wheel.”
The trip includes:
- all meals with wine and beer served with lunch and dinner
- complimentary cocktail hour
- one complimentary excursion at each port of call
- nightly entertainment
- daily on board expert lectures
- pre-night accommodations in downtown Memphis adjacent to the historic Beale Street District with transfers to the riverboat.
Private shore excursions will provide an insider’s perspective of classic Antebellum homes, Civil War battlefields and the iconic Oak Alley plantation. In the evenings, passengers can relax in comfort on their private balcony as they take in the spectacular rolling river views.
“I am a southerner and an experienced IARFC cruiser,” explains Jon Rogers, IARFC Board Director. I am delighted that we are drawing people to our own country and our own treasured waterways. What could be better than to visit these geographical locations only read about in history books.”
Note: Great Cruise Pricing!
- Prices for this particular cruising date are approximately 12% off
the standard pricing.
- For those who book BEFORE 12/31/16 with a $500pp deposit, there will be a $400 stateroom savings and waiving of port charges and fees ($250pp).
Bookings: Call Kimberly at the American Cruise Lines – 800.814.6880 x661 (mention the IARFC.)